Linux Mint

Recently I discovered Linux Mint. So far my experience with it has been pleasant. It runs way faster than the Windows 7 that was previously installed on the same box.   I actually installed this on a loved one's box and and since she is not a savy computer user I figured I would install everything she needed to make her experience pleasant.  I really didn't know what I was getting me and her into but I decided to give it a try because her computer was running extremely sluggish.  She mostly uses it for web navigation, so she had no files to backup and she doesn't rely on any Windows app for work or entertainment - so this made the decision much easier.

So far she is quite pleased with the experience.  The only thing I did to the OS so far was add Google Chrome because FireFox for some reason does not appear to be as good as Chrome on Linux or even as good as FireFox on Windows.  One of the key features failing in FireFox on LinuxMint is that the address bar does not double as a search bar.

Installing applications on Linux is definitely different than it is on Windows.  On Windows, normally you just click on the file and away it goes installing the application. At most you migh get a Windows Prompt warning you that you are about to install something or a permission request from Windows.  On Linux it just simply does not install.  To install Chrome I had to go through the command line.  To install Chrome I ran the command (after downloading chrome)

[user]~/Downloads $ sudo dppkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb

That worked but with the following errors:

 google-chrome-stable depends on libnss3-1d (>= 3.12.3); however:
  Package libnss3-1d is not installed.
 google-chrome-stable depends on libcurl3; however:
  Package libcurl3 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing google-chrome-stable (--install):

I then was forced to proceed with the following command

sudo apt-get install code-aster-run


That gave me the following error:






The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 code-aster-run : Depends: python-numpy but it is not going to be installed
 google-chrome-stable : Depends: libnss3-1d (>= 3.12.3) but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: libcurl3 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

So I then followed the provided advice to run

apt-get -f install




That last command finally installed all the dependencies I needed and "Voila!". I had google chrome installed.

I had some helpful hints as to how to do this from this site:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/how-to-install-deb-packages/

Hope this has been helpful.  Please comment below, like or dislike the post. I appreciate all feedback.

Until next time,

Happy Coding.














Comments

Domepeace said…
This is the article I was looking for. I too have installed Linux on two boxes I have. I wish there was an easier way to install applications and or drivers. I'm fairly new to linux mint and would like to learn more of it. Thanks for the article.

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Example of Using Pipes with C#

Putting Files on the Rackspace File Cloud

Why I Hate Regular Expressions